Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Road Trip Day 32 – Flippin day 4: one day until Thanksgiving

Normally, my parents do most of the Thanksgiving work. I’ve only ever made the yams and the gravy. I’ve made the cranberry sauce once when Rosie was gone, but my parents do the turkey and the stuffing and all of the vegetable sides-so basically the bulk of the meal. This is my first Thanksgiving away from home, so it was crucial that I make my parents stuffing. I’ve been emailing and talking with my mom about the stuffing for the last few days.
Toni and I went grocery shopping a few days ago, but without our list, we were easily distracted. I’ve always enjoyed grocery stores, so it’s no surprise that going in one gets me a bit sidetracked. When shopping for our Thanksgiving meal, we forgot stuffing’s most important ingredient: bread. So, out we went again for the last few ingredients, while Clint went to the farm with Gary.
From my understanding, the farm is just some open land that the Ponders own several miles from Flippin. It is here that Toni and Gary currently keep their 4 horses. Clint and Gary went to visit and feed the horses, while Toni and I did Thanksgiving meal shopping and prep.

The chefs deserve a drink! Egg nog with rum: yum!
After dinner, the four of us sat down to a game of spades. I first learned spades from Bubba and Cheryl while in Montana, but grew up playing hearts, and the idea is similar. A major difference is that spades is played in teams; so Toni and I teamed up against the men for a close game of cards. We finished the game just before Nick and Courtney arrived from Conway with their dogs. Us kids (we’re still kids, right?) stayed up late watching Harry Potter before stumbling to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment